Monday, January 4, 2010


Life is never boring, right?
Today was our first day back to regular routines after Christmas break. It went pretty well. We all made it to school on time, I managed to cross a few things off of my to-do list, Abby took 2 good naps, I made a really great dinner, if I do say so myself (Chicken Satay with peanut dipping sauce.)
However, 2 of my daughters challenged me today. First, it was Katherine. She refused to nap, which was really fine, she was happy to play while I made dinner, and was not too whiny. Once dinner was made, I sat down to play with her. She wanted to do her new Zoo puzzle (Thanks Gram!) So we put it all together, and sat together talking about it. After a bit I told her I really liked the giraffes and asked her which animals were her favorites. She thought about it for a long time. Then, she looked at me with a twinkle and said, "Mommy, my favorite thing here is ... YOU!" and she climbed into my lap and gave me a huge hug. My heart melted and she could have asked for ANYTHING right there and I would have given it to her.

2 hours later, after Maggie was home, and they had created a HUGE mess in the family room, I asked them to clean it up before dinner. There was wailing and gnashing of teeth. There was outright defiance. Maggie did her part, but Katherine only created a bigger mess. She was threatened with the loss of TV (she'd been waiting all day to watch a show) As I engaged in this battle of wills, I thought to myself "What happened to the sweet little girl of 2 hours ago?" ARGH! Just life with a three year old, I suppose!

Lucky for Katherine, I was also trying to get Abby settled to eat her dinner. And Abby's challenge trumped Katherine's. After I put her in the high chair, I reached over to push her sleeves up (to minimize the mess) She started crying, and after I tried a few things to stop the crying, I realized that she wasn't moving her left arm. I took her out of the chair and had Chris look at it with me and we both cam to the same conclusion - her elbow had popped out. Having been through it with Maggie a few times, we were pretty confident in our diagnosis.

So, I put her into her snowsuit, and into the car seat, and headed over to the ER. I LOVE this ER, it's never busy and always friendly and fast. We got in and settled and it seemed like she wasn't in as much pain - had she fixed it? No, she just wan't using it as much. But, somehow, before the Doctor/PA could come in, something happened and it was better. Was it the nurse moving at around? Was it her eagerness to play with the TV remote/call light? (so eager that she pushed the call light to summon help from the desk) Who knows. But when the PA came in, she said, "This is a cured baby!" and she sent us home. Abby was all smiles for the rest of the night.

Life is never boring, Indeed!


No comments:

Post a Comment