Sunday, February 17, 2013

 Let's just call this a hodge podge of things I've thought about in the last few days - all combined into one post.

Above you see the girls for Valentine's Day. The picture wasn't taken until the 15th. We were supposed to have 3 days of class parties - so 3 days of Valentine's shirts. But, Abby was rather sick this week, so she missed her class party. I let her put on a valentine's shirt Friday with Katherine, and Maggie just happened to be wearing pink. Once upon a time I planned these outfits well in advance, this year I almost missed the photo-op. AHHH!

Abby's fine now, though I was pretty sure I'd be taking her to the ER in the middle of the night Wed/Thurs. When she gets a bug, it settles in her lungs and she needs nebulizers to loosen it all up. She was given oral steroids on Wed, but they hadn't taken effect, and she got into a few coughing fits that were pretty scary. Everything is scarier at 2am! Eventually nebulizer +steam shower in the bathroom+ cold air through an open window+lots of Vicks rub+sleeping with Mom and Dad=a little bit of rest for all.  She's almost back to normal now, still a little sniffly, but feeling better every day.

 Today we wish Chris a Happy Birthday. He'd rather not make a big deal, but come on, I love birthdays!  So we've had the weekend of yummy food - I made Coq Au Vin last night with garlic mashed potatoes. This morning we had Cinnamon rolls (I was trying to think of something yummy that would work with our need to have everyone up, dressed, and out by 0730 for Church. These were yummy, but getting up at 0530 was rough!)  We had lunch at Mike LaSusa's, a restaurant we enjoy, but don't get to often enough. Special bonus - Sunday is Kids eat free - Cheap dates! And tonight we'll enjoy steak and baked potatoes, Chris will make his bearnaise sauce and grill himself asparagus, and we'll sing Happy Birthday again with the cupcakes that the girls made this afternoon!  The highlight of the day will be watching the Season Premiere of AMAZING RACE - his favorite show.


Earlier this week, the girls got a very special surprise in the mail from my Aunt Janet - Aprons and oven mitts for their American Girl dolls! There were squeals of delight when they realized the aprons and mitts would actually fit their dolls, and giggles when they asked if *I* could sew things like that and I explained that sewing a button was about as advanced as my skills are. The dolls have been cooking quite a bit this week which has been fun to observe - except when the dolls offer "grandma" a snack. I'm not old enough to be called Grandma!  Thank you Aunt Janet!

Yesterday as I was cooking dinner, I noticed that Abby and Katherine were happily playing together. And after my brain registered that there was no screaming or whining, I paid attention to what they were saying - and I heard them singing made up songs. When I went closer to see what they were doing, I discovered that they were using the Princess dolls and Jenga pieces to create something like a fashion show - where each Princess walked along the Jenga path singing a special song. I'm not sure they've ever seen anything like this on TV, so I'm not sure where it comes from. But it was hilarious! I wish I had video, but that would have been too obvious.  Sidenote: The crown that Abby is wearing was made at a Christmas Craft session at the Library, and Chris thinks it was to represent a Yule Log? She has decided she must wear it when she plays Princesses.  I swear, the 3 year old brain is incredible!
And finally, a funny Katherine-ism. While we were at lunch today, we were asking the girls what they had talked about in their CCD classes.  Maggie was able to tell us about Tax collector and Pharisee, but it took a minute longer to figure out Katherine's story. Have you ever heard about the "Portable Son?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment