Friday, August 1, 2014

Today was a long day of driving. But we did see some interesting things along the way. We left our hotel about 830 and went across the Chesapeake Bay via the bridge/tunnel. That was equal parts cool and terrifying. Something about being so far under the ocean, in a tunnel........it made me nervous.

Then it was a long slow trip North to Baltimore. No interstates in that area, just slow country roads. We did stop at a NASA launch site on Walllops Island. But that wasn't quite as exciting as we had thought it might be. It did provide a bathroom stop!

We stopped for lunch in Cambridge and no had a technology moment! Our iPhone gps directed us to an Arby's restaurant.......except it was actually an alley that led to private property! We trespassed only long enough to turn around and eventually found the Arby's not too far away......

Continuing on to Baltimore to our planned stop at Fort mcHenry. Did you know that it is the 200th anniversary of the Star-Spangled Banner? And that it was written at Fort McHenry? Indeed! This was actually a more interesting spot than I expected. And we even got to see a cruise ship in Baltimore harbor, and some tug boats moving barges. For only the second time in our trip it tried to rain on us, but just a light drizzle for a few minutes, nothing that stopped us!

So, we left Baltimore about 5pm and drove over to Frederick, md. This was a strategic decision on my part to be just that much farther when we leave tomorrow, and it also was cheaper to get a room out this way. As I checked in to our hotel, I realized that my drivers license is missing. I know I had it yesterday when we had to go through security on the military base.......perhaps it fell out of the car? They let me check in anyway and I've ordered a new one online, so I'm legal to drive.

We will get halfway home tomorrow........and home for good on Sunday. We hope!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment