Wednesday, June 3, 2009



Kids are too funny. Really, what did I laugh about before I had kids? Nothing could be as funny as the things that they say!

 

This morning we were getting ready to go out – nothing fancy, just a trip to the Oil Change Store. But Abby needed a dry diaper before we could go. In the process of changing her diaper, she need 2 new outfits after spitting up twice.  Asked Maggie to run upstairs to get the new things – but of course,  I wasn’t expecting to need TWO new tings – so she had to make the trip twice. After finishing her second trip, she sighed loudly (dramatically) and said "This is a hard life!”  When I asked for clarification, she continued “All this running up and down the stairs, it makes my life a hard life!”  Of course I flashed back to singing “It’s a Hard Knock Life” while dusting the Convent during sleep-overs with Aunt Peggy. Hmmm, Apple and tree perhaps?

 

The trip to get the oil changed also led to a deep philosophical discussion in the back seat.  The girls were rewarded with suckers from our friendly station attendant.  In a weak moment, I allowed them to enjoy the suckers on the way home.  Needing SOMETHING to argue about, Maggie provoked Katherine telling her that they are called “SUCKERS” not “LOLLIPOPS” as Katherine prefers.  Of course, hearing Katherine say “Wow-wee-pops” and “Suckaws” over and over was enough to make me giggle (and I’m allowed to laugh at her speech difficulties because I had the same ones when I was her age!) But it was the logic of the argument that cracked me up the most!

Maggie: They are Suckers because you SUCK on them.

Katherine: They are Lollipops because (pause) they are Loillipops!

 

And, to prove that the torment of sisters goes both ways, let me tell you about Saturday.  Chris and I spent the morning in  the basement, cleaning, organizing, moving things around and eventually attacked the playroom – doing a major PURGE. Chris had the label maker home from Church, and we used it until it ran out of tape – labeling boxes, bins and tubs in the playroom – in a desperate attempt to make it easier to clean up after the girls have taken EVERY toy out at one time.  Maggie was impressed with how clean everything was. And since she has her fathers need for perfection, she LOVED that everything had a place.  Later in the afternoon, Katherine took out too many toys at once and Maggie shouted at her “Katherine, we can only take out one thing at a time, it has to be neat and clean, I don’t like MESS”  Katherine grinned and evil grin and shouted “I LOVE MESS” while dumping a box of puzzle pieces. Maggie shrieked in horror and Katherine just laughed and danced around the room singing “I love mess” just to antagonize Maggie.  One more parenting moment where I just wanted to laugh.

 

Saturday afternoon was spent finishing the outdoor planting and gardening work.  Chris is attempting to grow tomatoes and peppers this year. Given that our yard is about 90% shade, I’m interested to see how it works. Sunday we went to Chicago for a birthday party at Gymboree for the daughter of my high school friend Eydie. Ava was born  the same week as Katherine, but they’ve been in Portland for 2 years – so it had been too long since we’d all been together. The kids had a blast – but it was really the adults who appreciated the time to catch up! We stopped at Gram’s for dinner and she enjoyed some “solo” Gram time – PopPop was on the radio which meant that Gram didn’t have to share!

 

In Abby news, she is now 6 weeks and doing well. She is eating more every day. I haven’t had a weight check – but I can FEEL that she is getting larger.  I’ve even noticed that some of her footed outfits are getting tight in the toes!  She definitely has more awake/alert time now – with her huge eyes taking everything in. She’ll follow you if you move across her field of vision and I just wonder what she thinks of this crazy house. She still goes with our flow pretty well – enjoying  playdates, time outside, and even our road trip to Chicago this weekend.

 

Next week Chris will be done with school, and then we’ll be having even more fun. We all know that Daddy doesn’t like to sit still for too long – so I’d imagine we’ll be go, go, going all summer long.  He already has a list of “projects” that he hopes to accomplish.  I think I’ll be grateful that I’m back at work – even if only a couple days each week!

No comments:

Post a Comment