Sunday, June 7, 2009

“Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery”

 

I’m not sure who said it first, just that Mom and Dad used to say it to us when we complained that a sibling was bothering us by copying, or echoing, or doing whatever siblings do.

 

I’ve been thinking about that quote quite a bit lately.  Both Maggie and Katherine have been following me around with their baby dolls, doing whatever I happen to be doing with Abby. Sometimes it is a simple feeding, or diaper change. Other times it has been a running commentary – everything I say to Abby is repeated to the “baby of the day.”   Honestly there are times I feel myself getting frustrated – much as I did years ago.  But when I step back and take a deep breath, I see that they are learning what it means to be a mommy, and practicing, and loving every minute.

 

This picture tells quite a story. Notice that I’m dressed for winter – despite the calendar saying JUNE! Note that Katherine doesn’t mind the temperature – she still rejects pants as often as I let her. And note that while she is copying the idea of feeding – she is not focusing too much on the actual technique. I’m pretty sure she’s never seen me holding Abby by the head to feed her! 

No comments:

Post a Comment