Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Yes, I know the point of  blog is to keep everything up to date, share information, especially about life altering events.  So it's taken me a week. Sorry about that! But anyone who reads this probably already knows that Abigail Elizabeth was born last week, April 21. She was 7 pounds, 14 ounces and 20 1/2 inches long.
I have to say, it was strange to know exactly WHEN she was coming, and very hard to sleep for 2 nights before the  big event. But it was a great day. I was ready, things went sm
oothly, and the only "kink" in the flow of the day was having my spinal anesthesia done twice, as the first one didn't "take" as strongly or as quickly as it should have. (Luckily, they did a few test pokes before cutting, and we realized quickly I'd need more before the real fun could begin!)  But from then on everything was smooth sailing. Once my legs came back to life I was up walking in my room by 4pm, surprising most of the nurses. But really, if you had been in that bed for all that time, you'd be jumping at the chance to get out of bed too!
Maggie and Katherine were instantly in love with their sister. They  were anxious to hold her and were annoyed that the grandparents felt that they were entitled to a  few snuggles as well!  Poor Katherine was surprised to be scolded for poking Abby in the eyes, "I was just trying to open them!" She thought she was helping!  Both girls are still adjusting to HOW
 MUCH they can love the baby - even a week later. They need frequent reminders not to smother her with love and kisses, I guess it's a good problem to have!
We were discharged on Friday and happily came home on the first 80 degree day of the season. (Funny that it was SNOWING while Abby was being delivered!)  Maggie and Katherine were excited to show me that while I had been in the hospital, they had put the swing, the bouncy seat, and the play mat in the family room for Abby to play with. Maggie was especially concerned with "what will Abby want to do first?" Again, the concept of a newborn, who does nothing but eat and sleep, was lost on her. She was positive that Abby would choose her favorite toy once she
 got home.

Now that we're home we've been settling into new routines. Abby just goes along with whatever we're doing. She seems fine sleeping through whatever chaos the girls are causing. And she's been sleeping well at night too. (I KNOW I just jinxed myself with THAT!)  Maggie and Katherine are eager to help. Both will RUN to get supplies for a diaper change, and Maggie especially knows exactly what I'll need during feeding and is happy to help - almost to the point of being TOO helpful. I'm feeling great. I know I'm still supposed to be resting - and I am. And I've only had 2 trips out of the house in a week. But I feel better every day and more able to DO things- even simple things like playing games with the bigger girls - it's nice to be able to get up and down from the floor so I can play with them! It's been quite a week, and I can't believe how fast it's flying by!   Here is Abby at One Week old (oh, and 7 pounds 4 ounces now - which is actually an increase from her discharge weight - so she's doing very well!)

No comments:

Post a Comment