Wednesday, January 16, 2013


Wednesdays are a little crazy. Once everyone is home (415ish) there is a rush to get homework done, backpacks unloaded/reloaded, dinner made, dinner eaten, dinner cleaned up, and then Chris, Maggie and Katherine leave by 545 to go to choir. Abby and I stay behind to finish cleaning up and then go to pick the girls up at 7 (Chris stays for adult choir.)  We get home again about 720 and do showers/baths/hair/teeth/stories/bed.

Depending on the day, it might run smoothly or be total chaos.

Tonight we got home and I sent the girls upstairs, saying, "Do you know what to do, or do I need to remind you?" And they responded in unison, "Put our clothes in the laundry and get ready for baths/shower"

Of course 3 minutes later as I made my way upstairs I knew from the giggling and shrieking that they were not doing their jobs.  And so began about 15 minutes of parent vs child. Not bad, actually, just interesting or frustrating. Lots of WHY questions, (Why can't I wear short sleeves? it's too cold. Why is it too cold? It's January in Wisconsin. Why is it January?) lots of bargaining, lots of redirection you might call it.
All of this to say by the time we were at "BRUSH TEETH" I was done with answering questions.

So as we squeezed 3 girls and a mom into the bathroom and Abby held up the toothpaste with no top on it and started to squeeze it while saying "What does this say, Mommy?" my immediate reaction was "Toothpaste, it's toothpaste, silly girl, what do you think!" (while grabbing the goopy toothpaste from her)

We cleaned up the overflow of toothpaste and put the cap back on it. And just as I was about to put her toothbrush in her mouth, she looked at me with concern and said, "But Mommy, those letters are C and P. Toothpaste starts with T. I don't think it says toothpaste."

Dumbfounded Mom managed to reply, "well, you're right, those words say Cavity Protection."

What are cavity protections?

It means your teeth will be strong, let's get them brushed so you can get in your bed.

Good Grief!





No comments:

Post a Comment