Thursday, May 27, 2010



Dear Katherine,
You turned 4 this week. I've been telling you for weeks that we were going to skip your birthday, so that you could stay my little 3 year old forever. But you knew better. You made sure I knew that you wanted Chocolate cake and pink frosting. You reminded me that we needed balloons and presents. And, you logically told me that if you never grew up, you could never be a special Mommy like I am. OK Katherine, you can grow up, but slowly, OK?
When you started preschool in the fall you could have cared less about your ABCs. You knew a few letters, but didn't want to be bothered by what they meant. Now you know them all and are the first to respond when Maggie asks "How do I spell 'Total'?" You shout proudly "T! To-tal starts with T!" You are "reading" very well with pictures and signs. You are figuring out the code and it is so fun to watch!
You are also growing into your role as middle child. Most of the time, you take such good care of Abby. Playing together, giving her snacks, watching her if she's doing something she shouldn't. You still like to smother her with hugs, but she's pretty used to that now. And I just love to watch you with Maggie. Your self-confidence shows through when you stand up to her and tell her not to boss you around. And yet, my heart still breaks when I see you disappointed when Maggie gets to do something that you can't do quite yet.
I love to sit and read stories with you; You would sit and listen to stories all day if you could. You still love to snuggle in and be"cozy" with me. Every night you ask me to bring you water if you are still awake when I go to bed. Every night you are already asleep. And every morning you ask me why I didn't bring you water, and giggle when I describe how asleep you your were - arms flung out, covers at the bottom of you bed.
You say the sweetest, funniest things. As we water the flowers outside,"You need to water me too Mommy - I need to keep growing!" Or in the car, on your birthday,
"Mommy, when I woke up today I was in my bed, and I looked, and my legs were a little bit longer. Because I'm 4 now. So I'm big." Or last night, waving your arms to get our attention and pointing to Daddy,"Guys Guys Guys, nope, No more cookie dough ice cream, Daddy ate it all up! Wook"
Katherine, you are more special to me than you know. I'm so proud of you, and I love you so much. Happy Birthday, 4 year old!

No comments:

Post a Comment